· On Monday, August 17, Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced his resignation from cabinet and the government
· Prime Minister Trudeau today announced a cabinet shuffle in a ceremony held at Rideau Hall today; the following Ministers were sworn in:
o Hon. Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance
o Hon. Dominic LeBlanc, President of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs
· Prime Minister Trudeau has asked the Governor General to prorogue Parliament until September 23, 2020 when the government will deliver a Throne Speech
· Premier Ford today announced the provincial government will be moving forward with the full three-stop Scarborough subway extension
o In his remarks, Premier Ford called upon the federal government to join as partners in the provincial subway plan with a minimum 40% funding commitment
· The Hon. Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, delivered remarks on day two of the 2020 AMO Conference
· For Tuesday, August 18, 2020, York Region recorded no new fatalities and no changes to current or resolved outbreaks
· Most York Region families say they want kids back in school in September
CASE NUMBERS IN YORK REGION:
Below is a summary of the detailed information contained in the Interactive Dashboard – Cases at //york.ca/covid19data. As of August 18, 2020, at 5 p.m. there are:
3,357 total confirmed cases 4 new cases* since yesterday, 11 confirmed cases in hospital, 5 of which are in Intensive Care384 cases among health care workers, of which 364 cases have resolved*No new fatalities252 total confirmed fatalities 2,928 resolved casesOne institutional outbreak under COVID-19 protocols 0 Long-Term Care/Retirement Homes 1 Community Care Settings 0 Hospital 0 Child Care Centre0 Emergency Housing 72 institutional outbreaks declared over
*Data quality is an ongoing process and may result in the more/less cases reported on a day-over-day basis or other changes to how cases are classified (e.g., municipality, acquisition, etc.). These data quality activities have also resulted in the re-categorization of individuals. Data quality activities do not increase or decrease total case counts.
All dashboard data, including workplace outbreaks, case demographics and institutional outbreaks (including the number of resident and health care worker positive cases), can be found by clicking on the “COVID-19 in York Region” box, or for quick reference, is available here. The data can still be filtered by municipality.
COMBINED CASE NUMBERS:
As of this morning, there are:
More than 21.7 million total cases worldwide (206,440 new) with cases in 216 countries, area or territories; 771,635 related fatalities reported by the World Health Organization (WHO)122,872 total cases (785 new); with 9,032 related fatalities in Canada (6 new); 109,059 resolved in Canada (as of August 17, 7:30 p.m.)
· 40,870 total cases (125 new); with 2,793 related fatalities; 37,126 resolved in Ontario
NO new cases reported today.